First, you have to know and understand what search engine optimization (SEO) is. It is described as the method of using strategy, technique, and tactics to increase the amount of people who visit a website. But, it is more than just that. Once you get readers to your page, you want to keep them there. Maybe get them to browse some of your pages and interact with polls, surveys, or some other way of interacting with your page. The more they can do on your page, the better.
Get them involved and keep them interested. Here are some other tips:
- Use Good Keywords – Make sure your keywords are simple and to the point, and hyperlink them to your Facebook page or to a different page on your website. If you have a dog walking business you could use dog, walking, pets, dog-sitting, etc. You get the point. Keywords are how people find you when they do a search on the internet. If you want to find a new car you would probably type in “new car sales” or “cheap new cars” and all of the sites that sell cars will come up, but the ones on the first page are going to be the ones with the best keywords and content. The websites on Google’s first page are the ones that get the most reads, shares, and comments.
- Keep it Simple – Do not make your website so complicated that the user has to spend too much time trying to figure out where to find what they want. If someone is looking for shoes and they click on a link from a Facebook page advertising shoes, they expect the link to take them to the page where the shoes are. But, if it takes them to a page that has nothing to do with shoes (like computers), they are not going to spend a bunch of time looking for the shoes they want. They will go to a different website that takes them directly to what they want.
- Page Titles – Use page titles that use your keywords. Try to get your best keywords into the title and use less than 70 characters. Do not use: a, an, if, the, then, on, off, and, too, to, for, etc. These titles show up on search engines when people look up things related to your keywords.
- Meta Description Tags – Your Meta description should have keywords, but not too many. Do not use more than 160 characters. Be sure to put your brand in the description. Your brand is who you are and what you do. Just like Walmart or McDonald’s are brands for their business and it is how they are known.
- Header Tags – Your header tags are what makes your readers want to keep on reading. Make it a way to grab their attention and get them to want to learn more about your website.
- Interesting and Fresh Content – Be sure to put your keywords in your content, but the main thing is that your subject is interesting, your grammar is correct, and be sure not to use other website’s writing as your own. If you want to use something you see on a website, you should be sure to tag the writer and the website. This not only keeps you from committing plagiarism, it also gives you a link to a page that may also link back to you once they know you are using their information.